Dr. W. Davey Crockett is committed to ensuring your long-term oral health. He proudly offers complete periodontal care for gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, at his Richmond, VA, practice. With these treatments, he can often prevent this condition that can cause tooth loss and significant discomfort. If gum disease does develop, he can provide appropriate, effective treatment at its various stages. At Davey Crockett Dentistry, our treatments include scaling and root planing, gingivectomy procedures, soft tissue grafting, and bone grafting.
The Importance of Healthy Gums
Gum disease develops when there is a buildup of oral bacteria. This bacteria and plaque can gather along and underneath your gum line. In the earliest stage, known as gingivitis, you may experience mild inflammation and slight bleeding. However, the harmful bacteria can move deeper into your gums, creating pockets around your dental roots, leading to periodontitis.
Over time, your gums will start to pull away from your roots, loosening teeth, and causing significant bone and tooth loss. To maintain an aesthetic smile and complete oral health, it is essential that you protect your gums. Good periodontal health is also important because it can affect your overall wellness. Gum disease has been linked to an increased risk for high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke. It can also make it more difficult to control diabetes and other conditions.
Periodontal Treatments at Davey Crockett Dentistry
Dr. Crockett offers a full range of gum treatments at his state-of-the-art office. We can also provide dental sedation to ensure your comfort during all treatments.
- Routine cleanings and exams: Regular cleanings are one of the most effective ways to prevent gum disease from developing. During your visit, your hygienist will remove bacteria that you are unable to reach, before it spreads to the deeper areas of your gums. Dr. Crockett can also check for the signs of gingivitis, which is easier to treat.
- Root planing and scaling: If you have mild to moderate gum disease, we will usually recommend scaling and root planing. A member of our team will gently remove pockets of bacteria and smooth your dental roots so that bacteria cannot accumulate on the rough patches. We may also prescribe antibiotics to remove all infection.
- Gingivectomy: If you have more advanced gum disease, you may require a gingivectomy, during which your practitioner will surgically remove damaged tissue.
- Soft tissue grafts: Dr. Crockett can also replace damaged tissue using a gum graft. This procedure may be especially appropriate if you have suffered severe gum recession, leaving your dental roots exposed.
- Bone grafts: If you have particularly severe gum disease that has caused the bone to deteriorate around your tooth roots, you may require a bone graft. If you have also experienced tooth loss, Dr. Crockett can provide a range of restorative treatments to fill the gaps in your smile, including procedures for dental implants.
Dr. Crockett has decades of experience in periodontal care and is dedicated to providing comfortable, effective treatment.
Periodontal Care at Home
Although our general dentistry treatments are extremely effective, you must also be proactive about maintaining your oral health at home. Proper self-care can prevent gum disease from developing. Alternatively, if you already have the condition, appropriate maintenance can combat flare-ups. To protect your gum health, you should:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss daily
- Use antimicrobial mouthwash
- Schedule regular office visits
When you visit Davey Crockett Dentistry, you will receive gentle, personalized, and highly effective treatment. Dr. Crockett has decades of experience in periodontal care and is dedicated to providing comfortable, effective treatment. He is recognized for his efforts, with Richmond Magazine regularly naming him one of the areas best dentists according to his peers and patients.
Preserve Your Oral Health
Whether you are experiencing the symptoms of gum disease, or you need simple preventive treatment, contact our office today for outstanding care. We can restore your oral health and improve your comfort.