Patients lacking sufficient bone mass to support dental implants may require a sinus lift, which raises the sinus membrane and creates more room for a bone graft in the upper jaw. Dr. Davey Crockett has years of experience placing and restoring implants using advanced techniques and technology. We also offer sedation options at our Richmond, VA, practice, such as nitrous oxide and oral medications, to ensure patients' comfort throughout treatment. Our entire team takes pride in providing the highest level of care for our patients.
A sinus lift can allow patients to receive an implant in the back upper portion of the jaw.
When is a Sinus Lift Necessary?
Following tooth loss, the jawbone begins to atrophy, becoming less dense over time. When upper teeth are missing, the maxillary sinus can gradually drop down and occupy the space left behind by the missing tooth roots. A sinus lift can effectively raise the floor of the sinus membrane, and increase the density of the upper jaw in preparation for dental implants. A sinus lift may be performed on one or both sides, depending on your unique situation.
The Treatment Process
During an initial consultation, Dr. Bousaba will perform a full examination. Our advanced digital imaging technology can assist us in evaluating the height and width of the upper jawbone. Sedation options will be discussed, as well.
Dr. Bousaba uses advanced imaging systems to evaluate patients' bone health and sinus placement.
When you arrive on the day of your surgical procedure, we will escort you to a comfortable treatment room where you can begin to relax. The sinus lift procedure will include:
- Anesthesia: To make sure you are comfortable during the procedure, local anesthesia will be administered to numb the gums and adjacent teeth.
- Incisions: Dr. Bousaba will create a small opening in the gums in order to access the jawbone.
- Access: To reach the floor of your sinus, a small, hinged window will be created in the side of the upper jaw.
- Sinus Lift: Once the sinus is exposed, the membrane will be gently and carefully lifted to its original position using special surgical instruments.
- Bone Graft: Once the floor of the sinus has been raised, the area underneath it will be filled in with bone grafting material. A membrane may be placed over the bone graft, as well.
- Stitches: Once the procedure is complete, the incisions will be closed with sutures to protect the area and promote healing.
Healing and Recovery Following a Sinus Lift
Immediately following your sinus lift procedure, you will probably experience slight swelling and discomfort. This can be addressed with over-the-counter anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. You will be provided with prescription medications, which should be taken exactly as directed. We will also give you a specific set of post-operative instructions, which should be followed carefully.
Although you can resume normal activities within a few days, the entire recovery process takes approximately six to nine months. During this time, the bone graft will integrate with your jawbone. Once this process is complete, you can safely undergo dental implant surgery.
Schedule a Consultation at Davey Crockett Dentistry
To find out if you are eligible for dental implants or you require a preparatory procedure, schedule a consultation with Dr. Bousaba. We can determine a treatment plan that will meet your unique needs and budget. Call our office at (804) 282-2990 or contact our office online anytime.